Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Is This Really What God Wants?



I was recently involved in a discussion about serving in the Kingdom of God.  As with most churches and ministries etc, having enough willing volunteers to ease the burden of the various tasks is always a challenge.  I understand the challenge and appreciate the need for warm bodies to do various tasks week in and week out.

This was an issue/problem even with the 12, after all one of them betrayed Christ and then was so overwhelmed by guilt (and the fact he was chastised for forgetting to bring brownies the Sunday before Passover) he hung himself.  After Jesus died they all ran home scared to death of what would happen next.

I fully support the idea that it is important to serve in some capacity at the church you are planted in. After all it is one of the "pillar's" I mentioned in my last blog on my personal philosophy of Spiritual Formation.  However, I don't think a Christian's place to serve should take precedent over the idea of needing down time and spending time with your loved ones (heaven forbid!)

"Everyone else is killing themselves to serve in different capacities at church in addition to their personal/professional responsibilities, so should you!"

Are you serious?

Is this what Christ died for?  A group of die-hard believers who are so burnt out with their responsibilities that they force the same philosophy on others?  Even worse, they become self-righteous judging others less worthy then themselves.  They are offended you would ever consider only serving in one or two areas of ministry or spending more than an hour or two a day with your family.  Just because you can't say no, doesn't mean I need to do the same.

They sound like the "Grumpy Old Man" from SNL.  "Back in my day we didn't get to sit in the pew and enjoy service.  I had to sing, play drums, pass the offering plate and preach the message! I was serving God but my wife and kids hated me. That was the way it was and we liked it!  Look at me I am serving God at the cost of my other relationships, whoopie!" http://www.hulu.com/watch/4303

I think its "great" you spend 12 hours serving on Sunday and then another 50+ hours a week working at your professional job.  How do your kids/spouse feel about that?  My guess is you won't find out until it is too late.  Don't have kids?  I am shocked.

Even more ridiculous is when they tell me their life is balanced.  Really?  You get 168 hours in a week and are telling me life is balanced when you spent 70% of your time working, sleeping and serving God.  That leaves only 30% of your time for your wife, husband, kids, eating, showering, errands and commuting to work.

I don't think you should have to apologize to anyone if you want to try and have a real balanced life.

Now if you are serious about your relationship with God and aren't serving in any capacity you should prayerfully consider getting involved somewhere.  Just be sure once you are involved you can say no once in a while.

Telling someone "no" because you are already involved in serving, along with your other responsibilities and don't want to get burned out shouldn't result in being treated like your life is worth less than someone else.  I feel bad for people who are so involved in so many things they believe they are better than those who aren't as involved.

I think Christians have their priorities backwards in this area.  I am not sure when serving our families became last, but I can't imagine God is happy about it.  Even if you don't have a family God desires you to have time to relax.  Even God took a day off.  The fact many church leaders chide their congregants for following a Godly example is absurd.  "Kill your family!  We are!"  And people wonder why the divorce rate is higher in the church than in the world.

I guess maybe I take the commandment regarding the Sabbath more serious than I should?  Shame on me.

“This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord." Exodus 16:23


“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy." Exodus 20:8







No comments:

Post a Comment