Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson) is Satan



First of all before I even start let me just say how HUGE of a fan of Nick Offerman I was prior to March 1st, 2013.  If you don't know who Nick Offerman is than you clearly don't watch Parks N Rec on NBC-which was previously one of my favorite shows.  You should stop reading now if that is the case.  Second, I don't really believe Nick is Satan.  If you can't tell what a joke is then you should stop reading this immediately.

I had several Ron Swanson related pictures (that sounds weird) at work including a Ron Swanson cut-out mask hung on the wall in my cube.  I even had a Facebook photo album with Ron Swanson related pictures of him, his 'stache and BACON! Ron was one of my all time favorite characters on TV (technically he still is I guess) and a guaranteed riot every time he was on the screen: "I don't care for strip clubs but I will take a free breakfast buffet anywhere I can get it."

Needless to say when I heard he was going on Tour ("Ham Tour") I was super excited!  I purchased two tickets for Sharlay and I the first opportunity I could.  It was a birthday present to myself; turns out it was one of the worst gifts I have ever received.  The irony of the situation is certainly not lost on me.

Nick's tour isn't really a stand up comedy act, although it is meant to be funny.  His shtick is basically standing on stage for 90 minutes discussing his 10 Keys for a Happy Life (or something like that.)  Sadly 70% of them all revolve around his hatred for God, Christians, Jesus and the Bible.  The rest are a smattering of his view on marriage, red meat, music, technology and politics.  Both my wife and I left the theater very disappointed and upset we had wasted our money.

Those of you who know me well understand I am not a fan of "Christian-ease" nor do I make it a practice to claim offense very often when dealing with things outside of the Christian subculture. However, I can honestly say my spirit was heavily grieved by what I watched that night.  I am reluctant to use that phrase when it has been so heavily misused by religious Christians but that is the only way to describe how I felt leaving the theater.  It honestly ruined my entire evening.  I was so sad (grieved is really a better word for how I felt) for Nick and his flippant attitude towards God.

Don't get be wrong.  I don't expect celebrities or athletes to be Christians nor do I expect them to have similar beliefs in order to appreciate their skills and talents.  Not everyone believes in God.  Not everyone practices their faith even if they do believe in God.  Not everyone is going to believe in the same God as I do.  No problem.  I can handle and accept that.  However, this was something different.  This was a man I had a certain level of respect for who is touring the country slandering my God, disrespecting my spiritual beliefs and making a mockery of Jesus Christ while getting paid large sums of money to do so.

You don't have to believe in God or Jesus Christ. However, I draw the line at disrespecting my faith and mocking my God.  If he tried the same approach with Muslim's, Buddhists or other religions he would be labeled: bigot, racist, fundamentalist, hateful etc.  The Bible warns about mockery and mocking God (See 2 Chronicles 36:16, Galatians 6:7) and as a man of God I won't stand for it or support it.

I can't do it.  I can't support someone who has so little respect for another person's beliefs.  I took down all my Ron Swanson stuff in my cube and threw it away.  I deleted my photo album.  I stopped recording Parks N Rec and deleted all the old ones from my DVR.  I even went as far as to write a poor review on the Ticket Master website-although I doubt anyone would care.  This was not easy for me to do.  It was sad to be honest.  I love laughing (who doesn't?); Parks N Rec and Ron Swanson could make me laugh every time.  It was a "go-to" sometimes when I was in a bad mood and we loved watching the show on Thursday nights.

I don't expect others to draw the same line in the sand as I have done.  This is just a personal conviction I have.  If you love Ron Swanson, please continue to enjoy him and all the bacon and eggs that you have.  Get swept up in a Meat Tornado and indulge yourself in a Turf N Turf.  For me and my house this is the end of our relationship with Ron Swanson and thereby Nick Offerman.  It was a good run but like all good things they must come to an end.  Ron Swanson you are like 5000 candles in the wind...




11 comments:

  1. I feel the conflict too when there has been an entertainer who I just can't keep reading/watching/listening too.

    I love a lot of comedians. Many of them are not fans of God(Yahweh), or any type of religious thought. If someone does not like God, or Christians I have learned that most likely they have been hurt in some way. Some just hate religion. I choose to just let them be and not give them grief over it and let my protest be to
    no longer participate. Congrats for standing up for your beliefs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt...thanks for the comment and encouragement I appreciate it. For me there is just a line between not being a fan of God (Yahweh) and going out of your way to be disrespectful towards a type of religion. I would totally agree with you that most likely he has been hurt in some way or disappointed by something or someone in the church.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any evidence of Offerman being an atheist, or does he just not openly talk about his religion? I haven't seen American Ham. But, I can see (in my mind) Offerman reprimanding the Christians that are extremely open about it, and force it upon people. I myself am a huge fan of him, and a Christian. Currently I am looking for any type of source that may say he is a Christian -but maybe not a very good one. It's very disappointing hearing all of this, but I still want to believe he could possibly believe in something which wouldn't disappoint me as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephen - thanks for the comment. I thought I recall him saying he didn't believe in God but it has been awhile since that night so I might not be remembering correctly. I didn't feel like repeating all of his jokes in the blog but there were some jokes about God that were extremely vulgar. I can't imagine anyone who has every been a serious Christian, making similar jokes. For instance one of his jokes not only involved giving God a hand job but also swallowing God's sperm. I loved Ron Swanson's character on Parks and Rec and I also used to really Nick Offerman when he did other things. I just can't get past that evening though.

    I don't recommend you watch American Ham but I am pretty sure you can find it online as he did film it as an HBO special or something like that.

    Thanks for reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got his book as a valentine's present from my girlfriend and got page 25 were he begins talking about church aND Christ. At first I was opened minded to what he had to say(everyone has anot opnion) but when he started saying it's all made up stories and magic I could not read anymore. I myself love Parks and Recreation and will never see him the same. You're dead on about him not slamming other relgions. Again this is just my opinion, but I agree with what you wrote and I am glad I'm not the only one who was upset by this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah even my wife and I tried to keep an open mind early on during his stand up routine. We cringed a few times but tried to just ignore those things that were slightly offensive. However, the last 20 minutes were so over the top offensive I couldn't believe. At one point he discussed giving God a blow job or a hand job and drinking the result. It was so disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol so the guy doesn't share your religious views...you then label him as "satan".

    The irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm it is called satire and "dramatic effect."

      Delete
  8. Yes...i just started reading his book from 2013 and was really disappoined how brash and smug he was. Pretty upsetting actually. How is he so sure miracles dont happen? Defenitely not a fan anymore at all. Kind of greiving myself. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...i just started reading his book from 2013 and was really disappoined how brash and smug he was. Pretty upsetting actually. How is he so sure miracles dont happen? Defenitely not a fan anymore at all. Kind of greiving myself. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete