Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

About that Hurricane...

Well for those of us in NYC and especially for anyone living about 60th Street the Hurricane ended up being a big snore fest.  After anxiously waiting two full days for the storm to arrive it was pretty much a non-event in New York.  I for one am very grateful as I had seen the destruction in NC, VA, MD and PA.  That storm sat down in NC/VA for a full day before moving along.  By the time it made it to New York it was moving very fast and was no longer a hurricane.  People here were really freaking out in the days leading up to the storm.  Here is a pic of the bread shelves at my local grocery store...these are ALWAYS full on a normal day...


These also made an appearance at my apartment building on Friday morning and made me nervous...

Okay never mind...it won't upload the picture of the four bags of "Play Sand" that are still sitting in our lobby.  This reduces the funny but I must go on.

I was a little nervous when I went to bed on Saturday night but by Sunday morning when I woke up at like 8am it was barely raining any more and the winds had died down.  Around 9:30 I decided to take a walk to survey the damage...




 As you can tell there wasn't much damage in my 'hood.  Plenty of flooding and wind damage on the lower end of Manhattan and also in Brooklyn and Staten Island.  While most of NYers are complaining about the hype I am very thankful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  It was a good idea for our city leaders to be planning for the worst and hoping for the best.  No reason to take unneeded risks especially when we are not familiar with how to deal with a hurricane.

I also walked down to the Hudson to see how bad the wind was blowing down there and to see if there was any other carnage (there wasn't).  Here are a few more pics...







Well that is all there is to report on the storm.  For the most part we are all back to normal here in the city.  I think there are still some people in the other boroughs without power.  Today is a beautifully cool day and I am going to go run in the park in about 30 minutes when my shift is over.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment