Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Red Sox v Yankees


Hello!!

So....our trip to Yankee Stadium last Saturday was great!!  The Sox won 6-0 behind an outstanding performance by Joshua Beckett.  There are not many things in life more enjoyable than the Red Sox beating the Yankees @ Yankee Stadium!!  Everytime a Sox fan came back to his or her seat after getting something to drink, eat or to use the bathroom we were booed.  Awesome!  Sometimes there were worse things than booing but it's Yankees fans, so you knew this already.

Stepping off the train and into enemy territory is always an "enjoyable" experience.  Most of the ribbing, booing and being yelled at is funny and hilarious.  Of course there are always a few people who take it too far but overall it is usually just funny.  Don't get me wrong, you have to be prepared for it otherwise you might be shocked but if you come prepared or have experience it is actually a lot of fun!  Besides there are enough Sox fans at the game to make you feel at home at least a little bit.

The real stupid (and yet entertaining story) was on the train ride up to the stadium.  We had the film crew with us for the ride and sadly there was not one obvious Yankee fan on our subway car.  We were very concerned it would be an uneventful ride to the stadium.  Thankfully, just like in "reality" TV we made something happen.  At 125th Street this dude and his wife got on and as he entered the train I heard him grumble under his breath about the Red Sox fans on the train.  Since he didn't have the courage to speak up I let it alone.  However, Kristin, one of the filmmakers wasn't going to let it go.  She immediately decided to interview me and set me up with a softball of a question to try and get a reaction from this guy on the train.

Her questions was something like "Andrew, so tell us how you feel about the apparent decline of the Yankees and their older generation of players?"  Well being the sound bite machine that I am ;) I said something I would never dare say in a train full of Yankee fans including some statements that I only said for the pure dramtic nature of the statement.  I may have mentioned that I beleived Posada's career was over (keep in mind this was the same night he cried and sat out the game), that Jeter was also done and the Yanks made a huge mistake in re-signing him.  I said that Texieria was too fat to hit for an average any more and that A-Rod was more interested in getting fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz than he was at driving in RBI's or hitting for an average.  I think I even worked in a statement or two about Mo and Joe Girardi. LOL

Needless to say this ball-less wonder took the bait hardcore.  He immediately started talking to me and getting very upset about my statements.  Well...except he wasn't really talking to me because he was facing the other direction and talking to the far wall of the train.  I asked him is he was talking to me to which he didn't really reply he simply went on and on and on talking to no one.  At some point he turned slightly so I could see his profile but he still refused to talk...or "yell" in my direction.  He wouldn't even look at me or the rest of my friends on the train.  Needless to say we continued to talk smack because we were filming.  The biggest difference is that he was getting like angry...super duper nuclear angry...it was really creepy! 

I mean if he was any kind of fan or followed the game he would have had plenty of ammo to turn around on the Sox since we have so many under performing players but he didn't.  Probably because he couldn't.  Then of course because he is so angry he starts to not make sense or is unable to argue logically.  For instance he said of Sox fans "Oh you think you are so great because you have won 2 championships in 10 years but we have won 27!"  So I ask him "How did the Yanks manage to win 27 in a 10 year stretch?"  He then says he meant since the beginning of time, so then I said well in that case you are missing four of our world championships.  Then he started accusing us of being bandwagon fans and started going on and on about how he couldn't understand why fans from another team would go to a "non-team" stadium to watch a baseball game.  Our whole crew was like "what the hell are you talking about, people go see other teams play baseball all the time!"  However, he just kept getting more and more angry even though we were mostly joking with him with smiled on our faces.  Finally, our friend Christy asked him "Why are you so angry?"  We all busted out laughing and he just became more angry.

At this point we were pretty much at our stop so we all piled off laughing and being a little creeped out over how mad this dude was.  Good times :)  Can't wait to go back! Go Sox!!

No comments:

Post a Comment