Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Central Park

Woke up this morning around 7am which is not normal for me on a saturday.  Waking up at noon is more common for me than 7am.  My plans were to go back to bed by 8am but once I had a chance to step outside and saw how beautiful it was out I couldn't justify going back to sleep.

I came back upstairs changed into my running shoes and decided to go for a walk and spend some time with God instead.  I headed over to Riverside Park so I could walk along the Hudson but before I did that I stopped at this place in the park that overlooks a soccer field and the Hudson River.  I only sat there for a few moments soaking up the quiet of the Park and the city on a saturday morning.  It was so amazing.

After that I walked down to the pedestrian path that runs the length of Manhattan on the west side.  Easily one of my all time favorite places to go.  I often find it the most calming and relaxing place for me in the city.  I turned on my iPod to some worship music and started my walk.  It was just such an amazing time of worshiping God and being outside getting some fresh air.  I stopped along the way to relax on a bench so I could read some of his word.

When I read the bible I often start in Psalms and pick the Psalm that matches the day of the month.  This morning I read from Psalm 16, 17 and 18.  There are always so many great verses in Psalms it is hard to focus on just one.  However, the one I really liked the most while reading today was:

He trains my hands for battle;
my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Ps 18:34

I love the fact that God trains me for battle everyday and that my arms (i.e. gifts) are able to do the impossible.  After reading the word and meditating for a bit I resumed my walk.  I left my iPod off so I could spend some time praying.  I prayed for C3 (my church) and especially the men of my church.  We have seen so many great things come to pass in the last year or so with the men at our church.  It has been so cool to see.  I then prayed for marriages and families at our church and also in our city.  I prayed for my job and my life of course.  I prayed for Sharlay and her family and of course our relationship together.

After praying I continued my walk down the Hudson and past the boat basin cafe.  As is my normal routine I went out to the pier and spent a few minutes enjoying the sights there.  Never gets old for me, I love being out there and seeing the city from the river.  From there I walked back towards the boat basin and then decided to climb the steps up to Riverside Dr. and walk over to Central Park.

It has been awhile since I had spent time exploring Central Park.  Which makes Central Park also one of my favorite spots in the city.  I have spent a lot of time there during my 4+ years here and I am always finding new things and new spots that are so amazingly beautiful and special I cannot always take it all in.  Frederick Olmstead was such a genius!!  I am going to try and find an autobiography of his today and add it to my pile of unread books lol.




So I walked down 72nd street past the Dakota where John Lennon was killed and continued to Strawberry Fields.  I continued to walk down by the lake and enjoy some of my previously discovered spots during the cool of a saturday morning.  It was so relaxing.  I then walked across a bridge I had never crossed before and had an amazing shot of New York City.  This is one of my favorite views of the city from Central Park.  The Essex House is such a great landmark in this city.  It was just a very special moment as I stood on that bridge listening to worship music and praising the God who makes all things and has been so very good to me my whole life.

I continued on my journey past the Castle and walked a little on the Ramble (where in Law & Order they always find the dead bodies) and explored a few other areas that looked cool.  Walked up by the pond at 100th Street and then as I was crossing a small foot bridge I came across a little waterfall that I had never noticed before.  I sat down and spent a little time enjoying the cool breeze that was coming off the water.  I noticed some small sunfish in this littel estuary that had been built so many years ago.  This place is certainly not secret but I cannot wait to go back and share this spot.  I will try and make it back here next week in the morning to just chill and enjoy it.


After that I spent a few more minutes wandering around the park and then headed home to relax, shower and now maybe take a nap.  I spent 3 hours walking around the city and loved every minute of it.  I remember when I used to do that many days in a row just seeing what the city had to offer and stopping at places randomly to see what they were all about.

Great day today!  Very thankful to be alive and very thankful to be so blessed and fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment