Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stamina - How to Run Your Race When You Don't Feel Like It



One of the most difficult things about enduring a strenuous workout (whether it is martial arts, running a marathon or swimming etc) isn't motivation but rather maintaining the stamina to train the fully allotted time.  It’s easy to run, bike or train up until the point it becomes painful and/or exhausting.  We are quick to think that if it “hurts” we should stop.  Obviously if you are experiencing unusual pain you should stop.  Frequently however, we use pain and exhaustion as an excuse to stop which in turn means we end up not meeting our goals.

There are times when we have to push through the pain, exhaustion and fatigue for the price that is on the other side.  I used to train in martial arts and often the reward of pushing through a session was simply a higher tolerance to the pain and fatigue.  It's necessary for staying in shape and being able to train or fight longer than I did previously.  We only get stronger and develop our stamina when we can push through the pain and fatigue of a given situation and refuse to give up.  This is often referred to as “mental toughness.”

"I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself." I Cor 9:27 Message

"But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it, for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfit [not stand the test, be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit]. I Cor 9:27 -Amplified



No matter what God has called you to do, whether it be big or small, we will all face times in our walk with God when we feel like we cannot go on.  When we feel like we cannot possibly take one more step, say one more prayer, make it to church one more time or read one more bible verse.  However, it is exactly at those points when we must, when we have NO OTHER CHOICE but to overcome the fatigue, discouragement and hopelessness we face.

Do you realize your race is not about you?  Do you know how many more people (those you can see but mostly those whom you cannot) are depending on your mental toughness to help them push through?  When others see you keeping your faith and running your race despite setback, obstacles and other things you face, this encourages them to keep going and fighting!

When I am training and I am so exhausted all I want to do is quit, nothing is more annoying than to look over at my training partner and see them still giving it their all.  Not only is it annoying but it is also motivating.  I don’t want to quit on my training partner because he is depending on me to finish our session together.  If I quit on him, who is to say he won’t quit on me next time?  If that happens how could I possibly blame him?

The most powerful tool you will ever have to influence others is your own example. Therefore, no matter what you are going through right now, don’t give in and don’t give up.  There is a place in your heart/spirit that Jesus watches over.  Tap into this place and refuse to give up.  Refuse to say “I quit.”  Tap into that mental toughness that is Christ Jesus and the Holy Ghost.  I know you think you can’t.  I have been there. God has your back.  Every moment you think you can’t he says “yes, but WE can!”  If you want God to take you to that next level in your life, career or in your relationships you have to get tough, mentally and spiritually.  Don’t let the enemy or well meaning people steal what you have worked so hard to obtain!!

“But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.  For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day…” I Tim 4:5-7

Sometimes it is as basic as saying “I am tired, exhausted, discouraged, beat up and I want to give up.  Nevertheless, Lord be with me and give me strength though I feel like I don't have one ounce to give.  Grant me perseverance even though I feel like as though I have none.  Give me encouragement even though my tank is empty.  Lord only you and I can do this together.  Please don’t leave me but help me press on!”

I am not saying it is easy, it is not.  It never is.  You just need to try and set an alarm in your mind that goes off when you are about to give up so you can recognize the moment and then refuse to give in!  I know you can do it, because I know the God that lives inside of you.  He lives inside of me too.  Now, let’s go do this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment