Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Fighting Poverty

Hmmm....

Don't get me wrong, I believe with all my heart that poverty is a bad thing and that "extreme poverty" is hard to even fully comprehend.  I also think it is great that so many people and organizations are helping those who are trapped in poverty and looking for away to get out.

What bothers me is Christian groups or Christians who have decided it is their mission in life to "end" poverty.  Apparently they don't read the bible.

"The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me" Matthew 26:11

I am all for trying to ease the burden of poverty and providing programs to help people achieve a better financial future for themselves.  However, even Jesus knew we couldn't eliminate poverty altogether.  What makes these people think they know better than Christ?  It is especially entertaining when the same God who said that it cannot be eliminated gets credit for making it their "destiny" to eliminate poverty.

I think at times we spend too much money (that never really gets into the hands of people it is intended to help anyway) on poverty and the poor.  There is only so much we can do to help eliminate some elements of poverty.  The bottom line is that it will always be here.

However, best of luck to those who do it....let me know how hitting your head against the wall feels in 20 years :)

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment